BOOK A ROOM
BOOK A ROOM
Agritourism Baglio Làuria stands inside an old Franciscan hermitage dating back to the 1700s.
In 1860, in the aftermath of the unification of Italy, our ancestor Paolo Làuria purchased the entire property, then consisting of several hundred ettari.
In Sicilian territory, the Baglio is a fortified farmhouse with a large courtyard and was originally equipped with accommodation for farmers, stables and storage for crops.
The origin of the term Baglio appears to be controversial: one of the most accepted hypotheses traces the etymology of the word back to ancient Greece with the term ballo, meaning “to throw stones and javelins,” “to throw off a cliff.” That term would later morph into the Latin ballista with the meaning of crossbow.
According to historian and researcher Gianni Morando, the Norman Count Manfredi III Chiaramonte called the fortification that stretched around the Castle of Chiaramonte by the term baille, later transformed into the Sicilian “bagghiu” and eventually Italianized into Baglio.
At the end of the 1990s, our father Paolo, a young entrepreneur with strong foresight and a touch of madness, decided to renovate the old farmhouse into a modern accommodation facility.
The farm, currently 45 hectares in size and originally focused on cereal farming, now mainly produces “Nero d’Avola” variety must grapes, table grapes, apricots and pomegranates.
Located 9 km from Campobello di Licata, 35 km from the Valley of the Temples 47 km from the Scala dei Turchi and 62 km from the Torre Salsa Nature Reserve.
You can use the following satellite coordinates to reach the Farmhouse: